Monday, May 17, 2010

What I Learned from Bob and Larry

I have to admit that I really like some of the Veggie Tales movies. As annoying as the talking and singing vegetables can be at times, I find myself laughing and really thinking about the points that they make. For example, today I watched "Lord of the Beans" with Caroline. It is about using the gifts that God gave us to help others. Not just our monetary gifts but our special talent and abilities.

All day I have been mulling over how I can better use my God-given strengths to help others. And not only those in my church, but those in my community and in the world. As Larry so poignantly said in the movie, God made us special and gave us our spiritual gifts so we could do good work for others. A lot of people just use their talents for themselves to earn money or recognition, which may make us feel good for a while. But it doesn't last. God wants us to use our gifts to make a difference in our neighbors' lives. And that is when we experience true joy-- using our gifts the way that God intended.

One of my spiritual gifts is teaching and loving children. I am praying about ways I can use that gift outside of my family and my church. I have a few ideas--- I will keep you updated! I have also been thinking about how to teach my children how to use their gifts to help others.

What are your spiritual gifts? How are you using them? How could you use them to help others?
Whether it is baking meals for the homebound, visiting and encouraging those in the hospital or nursing home, tutoring at-risk children, or building or fixing homes of the needy..... and those are just a few....... I encourage you to reach out beyond the walls of your home and your church to find a way you can make a difference for Jesus.

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10

No comments:

Post a Comment