Monday, February 7, 2011

I Don't Think I Could Have Done It...

I'm reading through the Bible. I have finished the first 3 books. Yesterday I finished Leviticus. If you have never read it, you should, over the course of a week or so. It is a lot to digest! The book is God's instructions for social and religious life for the Israelites.

As I was finishing the last 3 chapters I thought to myself, "I don't think I could have done this!" I am pretty sure I would either have been sacrificing more animals than I could afford OR I would have given up on trying to please God. Honestly I was leaning more toward the second choice. Knowing at this time in history that most people couldn't read or write, I can't imagine being able to remember what I needed to sacrifice for which things. Nor could I remember all of the social rules. And, even if I could remember it all, keeping up with everything would have been a whole other story!

Then a peace came over me. I don't have to remember the rituals, the different sacrifices, the regulations. I don't have to remember them because Jesus came. He paid the ULTIMATE sacrifice, once for all. I don't have to remember if my sin requires a sacrifice of a goat or dove. My sin has been paid for....in full. I have a direct line to God. I can go to Him anytime, any day, anywhere!

God doesn't expect that I will be perfect, that I will remember every sacrifice, every rule and regulation. All that He expects is for my life to be entrusted to Him. Every day. Every minute. In every situation.

Thank you Jesus, for your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment