Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Hands of Comfort

For the past 24 hours, I have been the hands of comfort to my children. First, my daughter who woke up with an excruciating earache last night, then a few hours later, my son with the flu. I was the lone ranger too, as Jason was gone for the evening on business. As I went through the sleep-dazed motions of handing out medicines, tucking in blankets, rubbing backs, and holding up heads for drinks of water, I looked into their weary eyes and saw peace as they were comforted by my tending.

Of course, we love our children unconditionally and yearn to comfort them in their illness, weakness, or sadness. If we love our children this much, can we even imagine how much our Father loves us? And don't we all crave the tending of our Father? The comfort of being in His presence, His peace, His security?

Just as my children rested in peace knowing that their mother was there to care for them, we should also rest in peace knowing our Father is caring for us-- that He can comfort us in any situation. His medicine is His word--healing for our weary souls. He holds us in arms that are stronger than any rock, but gentle enough to soothe. His water-- the Living water that never runs dry. Let us drink and never be thirsty.....

He is the God of all comfort..... rest and know you are loved.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 1 Corinthians 1:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment