Monday, November 23, 2009

A Thankful Heart

Hello everyone! Are you counting down the days until Thanksgiving like I am? I have to say that I am looking forward to getting to see my family and I am ready to enjoy all of the delicious food my grandmother prepares for our meal! I am so fortunate to have a grandmother who still cooks for an entire houseful of kids, grandkids and great-grandkids! She is amazing!


Anyway, I have been thinking about my blessings this week. As a family, we have been writing down something we are thankful for each day and putting it in a pumpkin basket on the table. On Thursday evening, we are going to read all of our blessings. It is fun to see the kids write (or draw in Caroline's case) what they are thankful for. Today, Caroline drew a sun on her sticky note as the rays shone in through the window, warming us as we sat at the table. It reminded me that it is not the material "things" that God has blessed me with this year that I am most grateful for, but the more basic items that I take for granted: Clean water to drink and bathe in, fresh air to breath, the ability to walk and use my five senses, the privilege to write to you about my faith in God on this blog. Also, I thought about how the Pilgrims, even in the midst of their dire physical and mental circumstances, managed to set aside a day of Thanksgiving. I live in the lap of luxury compared to them, yet am I as thankful? Do I give thanks to God even for the difficult experiences in my life, because they made me stronger in my faith and perserverance?


I found a few quotes I would like to share with you today as you prepare for Thanksgiving. I hope you all have a wonderful day full of celebration and find some time to reflect on the blessings God has given you this year. I am so thankful that I serve a true, living God who loves me so much that He sent His Son to die for me, to take away my sins, so I can spend eternity with Him. Thank you Lord!



"The pilgrims made seven more times graves than huts; nonetheless set aside a day of thanksgiving" H.W. Westermeyer



"Not what we say about our blessings but how we use them, is the true measure of thanksgiving." W.T. Purkiser



"Oh Lord that lends me life, lend me a heart replete with thankfulness!" William Shakespeare



"Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord! Praise ye the Lord! " Psalm 150:6

No comments:

Post a Comment