Thursday, October 28, 2010

Generations ....

Remind me of this with every decision. Generations will reap what I sow. I can pass on a curse or a blessing to those I will never know. Sara Groves "Generations"


I love Sara Groves. In fact, I need to get some of her music on my new ipod. Anyway.. I chose this chorus from one of her songs because I was reminded today about how my actions and words WILL affect my children. They are watching me. ( ok, Grace is, Graham will be soon!) Grace is even starting to copy me. The other day she was in the car playing a game that we play and I saw her take her fingers and wag them in the way I do when we play the game. She also told her 8 week old baby brother not to be bossy (wonder who tells her that often?!). Those are things she gets from me. That's ok..... I'd love her to learn to love to read from me, to get a sense of adventure, a love of traveling, even to share! Those are all great things.

There is something I hope and pray she doesn't get from me.... I desperately want her to have confidence in herself as a child of God, who was created by him exactly how he wanted her. I did not grow up with a lot of confidence. In fact just the opposite. I was so insecure and worried about my looks. I worried that my freckles were too many, my smile too gummy, my thighs... you get the picture. And of course, I'm guessing you could probably fill in one or two of your own... why are we like this?

The last thing in the world I want is for my daughter and/or my son to see me picking apart the body Christ gave me with insecurity. I want them to know that we were fearfully and wonderfully made. I want to pass along a confidence that I know whose I am. I want that to pass for many generations. So.. I need to start sowing now.. I'm going to do that by taking care of my body but not picking it apart piece by unlikeable piece, out loud or to myself.. I'm going to tell my children every day that they are loved by me and by God. I'm going to tell them that our Creator takes great delight in them, just as they are....

What about you? What do you hope to sow for future generations?

1 comment: