Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Giving Up cont.

Kristi started yesterday's post and it was definitely thought provoking. She brought up the point of sacrifice. I thought about it and then realized that one of the things that takes my time up, takes time that I could be using to spend with our Father, is facebook. I love facebook. Ok, I'm kind of nosy and love to be "in the know" so facebook is RIGHT up my alley!

I am staying home with Grace and now babysitting for a friend also. That means during nap times I have some "free time" Of course I could be doing laundry, cleaning those cobwebs away, or even, as odd as it may be... having some time in the Word. But instead what do I do? Jump online and catch up on what I've missed in the last half day er... half hour.

So today, day one of Lent for me. I put the babies to sleep (well, one was sleeping, one was having a privilege of watching Sid the Science Kid :) ) and instead of hopping online I sorted and organized bills, caught up on our budget and went through receipts. It was great! I felt focused, on top of things, and if I must admit a bit proud of myself.

So... day one- check. But here's the thing. I'm not sure I really got it today. Know what I mean? Yes, I stayed away from facebook but I don't know if I trully got the reason for my giving up. It wasn't to give myself more time to clean my house or to get caught up with my paperwork. It was to GIVE to God. This whole idea, like Kristi said is to remember His sacrifice to us. To use this time to grow closer to Him and to prepare myself to both mourn his death and more importantly celebrate His coming back from the dead!

So.. day one.. not to bad. But tomorrow? Tomorrow I'll crack open my Bible during Sid the Science Kid. Or I'll grab my journal and spend some time thanking Him for all his blessings.

Joel 2:12-14

Yet even now, says the Lord,
Return to me with all your heart,
With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;
Rend your hearts and not your clothing.
Return to the Lord, your God,
for he is gracious and merciful,
slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love,
and relents from punishing.
Who knows whether he will not turn and relent,
and leave a blessing behind him,
a grain-offering and a drink-offering
for the Lord, your God?

No comments:

Post a Comment