Tuesday, February 9, 2010

God's Word Is Alive and Active

I have felt crummy the past few days.... the typical head cold has gotten me under the weather. But the good thing is that while I have been sipping hot tea and popping Zicam, I have gotten a little extra time to sit and read my new devotion book I received for Christmas. It is called "Voices of the Faithful: Inspiring Stories of Courage from Christians Serving Around the World". The foreward of each month is written by my favorite Bible Study teacher, Beth Moore. I just wanted to share with you a little of what I read tonight about the importance of God's Word in our lives.

Whether stateside or on foreign soil, believers have the same text in common and the same inability to live well without it. I don't care who we are and how long some of us have been in church or ministry. None of us can make it victoriously without a steady diet of Scripture. And why would we want to? Hebrews 4:12 tells us that God's word is "living and active" (NIV). That means it isn't just an ancient sacred text still making a few relevant applications. The Greek verb tense for "living" in Hebrews 4:12 indicates the Word is PRESENTLY and CONTINUALLY teeming with life. If we believe the Word is alive and "all Scripture is Godbreathed" (2 Timothy 3:16) we might say that every breath comes to us still warm from the mouth of God. As if He just said it.

This really resonated in my heart. It is hard to stay focused on daily Scripture reading and time spent studying God's word. Sometimes that time gets pushed aside for other daily activities. It is my prayer today that God ignites a passion in me for His word, and that I daily make it a priority. Will you join me in this prayer?

For the word of God is full of living power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting swift and deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us for what we really are. (Hebrews 4:12 NLT)

1 comment:

  1. Shan- You are so right. If we give something up, but don't use it for the right reasons, it is pointless. I am going to try every time I have the urge to get some sweets, to grab my bible and open it and read a verse or two. We will see how it goes! Love the verse too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete