Friday, February 12, 2010

Green with Envy.

Your hair is straighter. You are married with kids. Your job is better. Your financial situation is more free. Your dog is well trained. You're skinnier, funnier, smarter. You get the idea don't know?

I have a friend that sometimes causes me to be so envious. She has amazing kids, a great husband, and the girl looks amazing in anything. She could cover herself in a car cover and look like she was headed to the Grammy's. If I did that, I would look like, well, a car (and not a cute sporty Miata).

Envy is an incredible struggle for me. It squelches joy and peace and can even lead to anger.

The Bible tells us:

Stop your anger! Turn from your rage!
Do not envy others--it only leads to harm.
Psalm 37:8 NLT

…envy, jealousy, and wrath are like rottenness of the bones.
Proverbs 14:30 AMP

So I get it, envy is bad. But how do I cope with it? The Bible teaches what should be the replacement of envy: LOVE.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy…
1 Corinthians 13:4 NIV

My eyes were opened today, as I read these truths, that God isn't telling us just to love the people that we envy. He of course, does want us to love those that we feel envious of, but sometimes for me it's just as difficult to love myself. He wants us to love who He has created in us. To fall on our knees praising Him for the unique blessings that He has given to us. The Love that He teaches about in 1 Corinthians is love that He wants us to experience both giving and recieving.

1 Corinthians goes on to explain that Love always supports others and wants the best for each person. This is a bigger challenge for me after all most everyone would look better in a car cover than I.

1 comment:

  1. Every time you post a blog, Monica, I'm like "yes. yes. yes." and it always comes at the perfect times.
    Thanks for sharing! You're a great friend!

    ReplyDelete