Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Wise Sayings

Last night during my devotion time I opened my Bible up to Proverbs. I scanned through the pages, looking at some of the ones I had underlined as favorites. I love reading the book of Proverbs for a few reasons. First of all, some of them are just downright funny---

"Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife." (21:9)

Whoa, are we really that bad, Solomon?

But most of all I like proverbs because in each short snippet, there is a truth that can be applied to everyone's lives. For example, in the proverb above, it convicts me to NOT be that quarrelsome wife. How many of us have picked or nagged at our husbands? I know I have. But God's plan is for us to love our husbands and keep peace in our households. That is not to say that we cannot disagree --- but to pick a fight? Not a good example of a godly wife.

Another one of my favorite proverbs is 13:3.

"He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin."

Many times the Bible speaks of the power of the tongue, and how man continually struggles to tame it. The ability to control one's words is one of the clearest marks of wisdom, according to Solomon. I pray that God will help give me the power to discern what words should or should not come out of my mouth. To my husband, to my children, to my friends.

What is your favorite proverb and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment