Monday, December 20, 2010

On the Hunt

I love and hate new seasons in life. They are exciting and scary and make me anxious all at the same time. I have entered into a new season of life.....

Church Hunting

I have attended NW UMC for the past 3 years and am sad to leave. But the time has come. I am 30, single, working, and in dire need of community that I can relate with. The hardest part is that I am not leaving on a "sour note" or "put off" by something from the N-dub. I am leaving because God is moving me.

I stepped down from some ministries and thought that was it. But in my time with the Lord it has become clear that it is time to move on. I am in a place in life right now where I need to meet people who are in the same place in life...working and single. And, I honestly am in need of a jolt to step out of my comforts. I don't really know how else to verbalize all that I have learned, I just know that it is time to move on.

This is tough for me. I have never looked for a church for me. I have always gone to church because of friends or youth or ministry. God has made it clear to me that I need to keep those things in mind, but also seek out a church that provides community with people in similar places.

And the toughest part in all of this....telling those who I have come to know and love at N-dub. People, including myself, don't take to change too well. But, I cannot deny what God has placed on my heart and the direction He is taking me.

So, I am on the hunt. I am anxious for this new season. I am praying that I will be mindful of God's guidance and trusting that HE has the perfect place for me. I am thankful to have lasting relationships from N-dub. I am grateful for the person I have become over the past 3 years. And I am excited!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dina,

    I did something similar about 4 years ago. I called it "church shopping" and over the course of a few months and testing out about 6 or 7 churches in the area, I fell in love with the community at Vineyard Syracuse.
    I'm not intending to get on here and tell you our church is the best ever and it is perfect for YOU and there is no place else you need to be... because that is something that, obviously, you need to determine. However, I will say that it might be a good place to at least check out.

    Our congregation is filled with 20-30 somethings like me (many have children, too). There are a ton of small groups going at all times of the year and the worship band is AWESOME! I teach the Prek Sunday School class, and I love it. We're always looking for children's ministry volunteers, too!
    Good luck in your search! What a scary yet exciting season in your life. I'll be praying that you find a church home that makes you feel at peace and is just perfect for you! :)

    Angie Weybright

    ReplyDelete