Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tradition!

Today I sat with my daughter on our bed. She was playing and I was folding clothes. It was one of those moments I want to remember forever. She was playing "Santa". Now let me first of all say that some of you don't believe in playing Santa with your kids. I totally respect that. We haven't officially decided what all we'll do but as of now we have Santa at our house.

So anyway she said she was santa and that I should sit on her lap (HA!). We chatted for a bit and I asked her what santa says and she said "say cheese". That is hilarious to me because last week we took her to say Santa and I told her he'd say "ho ho ho" and instead he said "say cheese" because they were taking their picture!

Anyway, we played Santa for a few minutes and then I asked her why we celebrate Christmas. She said "have partys". Well yes, we do have parties but it's more than that. I explained that Christmas is the birthday of Baby Jesus. We still have some more work to do on that one but it's a start. :)

I'm telling you this because 1) it's a cute story and 2) it was a reminder to me that we need to constantly be talking to Grace and soon Graham about the real reason we celebrate. It's so important to me that we don't get caught up in the gifts and parties and such that my kids do not see the reason we do those things. HE CAME. This is perhaps the most important thing in the life of a Christian. The coming of Christ.

I want to start traditions with my family over the holidays.. how we set up the tree, how we do presents etc, but I also want to set up traditions of how we celebrate the coming of our Messiah. I haven't figured it all out yet but when my kids are older and sharing stories I want there to definitely be a bit of fun holiday tradition as well as memories of the child born on that day so long ago...
What family traditions surround your house at Christmas? (about the presents, etc, or about Jesus!)

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment