Thursday, July 1, 2010

TWO

Grace turned two a few weeks ago. We had always heard about the "terrible twos" and I've even had friends who have said theirs hit the terrible twos before they turned that magic age. But us? We were rolling along full tilt, having a great time and there was no "terrible" in sight! I thought to myself- She's such a good girl, we won't have those issues. She is going to be such a good listener like she is now and we'll have no worries.

Wrong.

Two came in roaring like a lion. We have whining, we have crying, we have flailing and limp noodling. There are "NOs" to be heard and also "I not do that" and "Mom, I not go with you" to accompany the nos. She fusses when we change diapers, when we take baths, when we go to bed, and the worst of all- when we leave friends. She cannot stand the sadness of leaving her friends, two of which are living next door to us for the camping season. It's so hard for her and she cries, and kicks and screams and falls to the ground. Have I mentioned that I'm about 8 months pregnant and it's hot and she's TWO (not so little to carry home anymore!) *

So discipline has come in right behind the little lion and it's hitting hard at our house. Our voices have gotten firmer and we are working as team to decide the most appropriate discipline for each example. Most importantly we are working on being consistent and letting her know that disobedience is not acceptable and when she does decide not obey there will be consequences.

I was explaining this to someone at lunch the other day and I realized that I have a small ( and I'm not trying to take it lightly or compare myself to Him) glimpse of what God feels like when we disobey. Just as I know that it's right for Grace to leave her friends and head home to bed, God knows what's right in my life. Unfortunately I'm ashamed to admit that I have been known to act out my terrible twos before Him as well. I've kicked, stalled my feet, yelled, even just outright turned around and headed in the opposite direction before.

And I've been disciplined. Ouch. Anyone else see the comparison? I can get so frustrated when my daughter for the bazillionth time tells me "no" but don't I often do the same thing to my heavenly father? I can imagine his frustration!
Deuteronomy 8:5
Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the LORD your God disciplines you.


I'm comforted to know that as many times as I'll work on teaching Grace over and over how to respond and act appropriately - He will do the same for me, in fact, a million times more. Praise the Lord that our heavenly Father does not grow too tired of our misbehaving that he just gives up on us. Let's work on our spiritual discipline this week. Love you ladies.

* please note that there ARE good times tucked in there between the flailing and whining as well- she is a joy to be around... she's just... two. :)

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic post Shannon! I love the comparison and it's so true for myself as well! At times I am a two year old stomping my feet and shouting NO! Praise God for his grace and mercy!

    ReplyDelete