Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Psalm 16

I was reading a book the other night (I know, big surprise there...) and the main character has trouble sleeping at night because of the issues that are going on in her life. Can you relate? I sure can. Sometimes my mind will not allow my body to rest! Anyway, her sister tells her to read Psalm 16. So I put down the book, picked up my Bible, and read Psalm 16.

If you have a Bible handy, read it right now. If not, here is the last part of it that really spoke to me.

I will praise the Lord who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me.
I have set the Lord always before me.
Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Therefore, my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body will also rest secure. NIV

I would also like to share with you another translation of the same passage. It is always fun to read "The Message" for a more modern-day interpretation.

The wise counsel God gives me when I am awake is confirmed by my sleeping heart.
Day and night I will stick with God.
I've got a good thing going and I'm not letting go!
I am happy from the inside out, and from the outside in, I'm firmly formed.

Because of Christ, we can rest secure in His arms. No problems or issues or illness or change can take away the future we have with Him. He took care of that on the cross. The next time I have trouble sleeping because I am worried or upset or stressed, I am going to read Psalm 16 and remember that I am always safe with my Lord. What joy we can have in that total security!

What other passages help calm your restless heart and mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment