Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Little of This and That

First of all, I started reading One Thousand Gifts last night, and oh. my. goodness. Let's just say that I have been saving it until I can really focus on reading every word, because if you have ever read Ann Voskamp, you know that her writing is poetic, like candy for your brain. You have to read it Slowly and savor every morsel.

I wasn't let down when I read chapter 1 last night. I had to keep shushing my husband it was THAT good. Please order her book. I can't wait to blog about it in a few weeks. I guarantee you will LOVE it. Go Here to read more about the book club, the book, and the author.

Also, I wanted to share with you my Siesta Scripture Memory Verse for the second half of this month. I have been doing well so far, but it is just the beginning. The real test will be this summer. Will I have the stamina to push through and continue to memorize two Scripture passages a month? I am praying that I do. Some of you may wonder: "Why memorize Scripture? Why is it so important?" Great question and one I did not fully know the answer to until the past year or two. Here is a great post from one of my favorite Bible teachers about why we should memorize Scripture.

It is something that is hard for me to do, so this is the first time I have committed to a long-term Scripture memory project. You know all that about avoiding things that are difficult:) Well, memorizing Scripture is not my forte, but even after this first month of working at it, it has been working in my heart. So without further ado, I would like to share my verse for this month by memory (no peeking!):

So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to perservere so you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised. Hebrews 10:35-36

How did I do? Well, I was off about six words...... but they were not important words, you know.. like pronouns and stuff:) Anyways, I think I did pretty well. And I love this verse. I can always have confidence in my Lord, and that trust and faith will not go unnoticed from Him! God is who He says He is, and He does what He says He will do. I have no reason to throw that truth away.

Two questions for you: Have you started One Thousand Gifts? Without giving too much away, what was your first impression? Also, what verse are you memorizing or which verse is speaking to you these days?

2 comments:

  1. My book will be here this week. It received wonderful reviews on Amazon.

    My scripture is "For the Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest and the works of your hands and your joy will be complete." Ps. 126:5

    Sometimes I like to change scripture to make it personal for me and it also easier to remember. "The Lord my God will bless me in all my harvest and the works of my hands and my joy will be complete."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Cheryl! I will have to try that! I love that verse too!

    ReplyDelete