Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sitting around the Table

Dinner time is sacred in our household. I firmly believe in the practice of sitting down at the table with your family and discussing the day's events. There are days, of course, where the kids sit at the bar and Jason and I stand at the bar and throw something on the table to eat. But most days, we gather around our kitchen table to thank God for his blessings and enjoy each other's company for thirty minutes.

Oh believe me, it gets harder as the kids get older. More and more activities and meetings and technology pull at our time together. But I am sticking to my guns on this one-- studies show that families that eat dinner together regularly are happier, have kids who get better grades and are less likely to use drugs, have parents who have stronger marriages, and in general have better eating habits. And if you start this habit early in a child's life, it just becomes part of the expected routine!

I got some good dinnertime conversation ideas from "Mealtime Moments" from Focus on the Family (I just love them!) This little flip book stirs up great discussions and teaches important things about Christian life as well. The kids love when I pull out the book!

So turn off the t.v. and the cell phones, dust off your pots and pans, say no to those activities during dinner time. It is so much more than just sharing a meal--- it's sharing our lives.

"Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31

No comments:

Post a Comment