Monday, May 11, 2009

Just one more perspective.....

I had an entirely different post planned for today. However, after reading Monica's post and Dina's post based on Jeremiah 29:11, I got to thinking about how that verse really applies to my life now in regards to my children.


How often do I believe God when He says that He has plans for my children? Good plans. Great plans for them. Plans to bring HIM glory in the process of what has occurred and will occur in their lives. Do I trust Him with the lives of my kids? Do I hand them over to God? Or do I think I can control their destinies? I think I do the latter more often.


For example, right now I am "worried" about the following: How are they doing in school? Do they have friends? Are they good friends? Do they get along with others? Are they in too many activities? Do I push them too much? Do I not push them enough? Have I taught them to love Jesus? Am I a good example for them? Do I let them watch too much t.v.? Am I too strict? Am I overprotective? Am I not protective enough? Am I consistent in my enforcement of house rules? Do I treat them equally? Is public school the right means of education for them? Why don't they appreciate what they have? How can I change that? Are they spoiled brats? Will they grow up to be lazy? Will they grow up to do drugs? What if I am a grandma too soon? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!


Okay, can any of you relate to this? The list could go on and on. So, after reading Jeremiah 29:11 again, I inserted my children's names into the verse.


"For I know the plans I have for Alex, plans to prosper Alex and not to harm Alex, plans to give Alex a hope and a future."


God knows His plans for my children. It will not be all happy times--there will be struggles. But they will be struggles with a purpose behind them. I get that. It's not always easy to totally surrender to God's will for my children, but it makes sense. He is the I AM. He knows for sure, without a doubt, not only what will happen in my children's lives, but also the reason for it.


But if you read on in Jeremiah 29:12, a very crucial point is made in actually taking that step in giving your children's lives over to God.


"Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you."


Instead of worrying about these issues, I need to call upon God. I need to go to Him in prayer, often, for my children. Instead of giving in to my "mommy fears", I should go to my Father with my petitions and lay them at His feet. He will listen and He will answer (maybe not in the way I want, or maybe no answer will be his answer for now).


One of my favorite parenting books is by Carol Kuykendall, who is director of communications for MOPS. It is called Loving and Letting Go.


I want to end this post with an excerpt from the book. This list really helps me pray for my children.

I would love to hear from all of you reading-- How do you let go of your "Mommy fears"?




A Prayer for Our Children



I pray that they will know Jesus.
I pray that they will learn to love others with kindness and compassion.
I pray they will know the difference between right and wrong and will pursue what is right.
I pray they will develop self-control and discipline.
I pray that they will respect authority.
I pray they will desire the right kinds of friends.
I pray they will resist temptation and hold fast to the truth.
I pray they will find joy in the right mate and be saved in purity for that person.
I pray that they will be filled with God's hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment