Thursday, May 28, 2009

Remembering Memorial Day...

So I realize that I'm a week late with this post. Sorry.....

I was wanting to reflect on Memorial Day and relate it back to reading Beth Moore's blog as she wrote about the National Day of Prayer! If you remember I wrote about that a week or so ago and it came back to me last weekend. Lots of times I think we usually think of Memorial Day weekend mostly as a time to get together with family and friends for a cook out. It is always exciting in the Wilson family because it is the beginning of the summer season at 'The Cottage'!!! This year we had lots to celebrate because we had two new babies since last summer ( one being my new granddaughter, Ava and a new great niece, Leila) and we can't forget, the new pier!

Anyways, as I read Beth's blog ( of Saturday, May 9th called 'Oh, What a Week...at Living Proof Ministry's) she talked about all the different celebrations she attended that day and many of the things that struck her about the speakers or people she met, or traveled with and how awesome it was to be in prayer with all those people no matter what their political affiliation or agenda was any other day. That their faith was the same and all believed in the power of prayer and they were all praying for our great country!! We all see and feel the struggle our country and people are in, some worse than others. Sometimes I think the only way we can make it and I believe have made it this far, is because there are many people bold enough to stand up and say they believe in God and pray to him.

I think one of the reasons Beth's words struck a cord with me was she spoke about Washington D.C., the Pentagon, etc and it reminded me of the trip I took as a chaperone when my youngest daughter, Alexis was in 8th grade. It was in October right after the attack on the world trade center on 9/11. Patriotism was very high and I was so impressed to see our government in action. It truly made you 'proud to be an american!'

I remember singing a song when I was a kidd and my kidds singing it some, too, about being in the Lord's army. And altho that sounded funnie to me sometime, being in an army for God, we really need to be!! As I thought of all this, I also thought about putting on the armor of God. I was thinking that pray was part of that armor but must not be. Either way, it does say in Ephesians 6:18 (after talking about putting on the armor of God...) "pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep praying for all the saints."

So as we begin the summer, celebrating Memorial Day with family time, let us remember the opportunity we have as Americans to pray for our country and also, to be in 'God's army' wherever that finds you in your every day life. Doing whatever God is calling you to do, having put on the armor of God each day, and being in prayer for our country and it's leaders, for our military people, for our local government, for our churches, families, and 'all the saints'.

Dear God, I praise you that you made a way by dieing on the cross for us, that we would be able to come to you in prayer, that you would be available to us 24/7 to listen to all our prayers. Help us to remember to rely on you in everything, to come to you, and seek your guidance. I also pray for our country and the many people that need our help. Show us what it is you would have us do. Help us to be your hands and feet.
In Jesus' Name, Amen.

1 comment: