Sunday, May 31, 2009

Red

As I sat in church this morning there was red everywhere...to celebrate the day of Pentecost. It was beautiful too. There were red ribbons with doves all around the balcony, red tapestries on the tables and organ, a red bookmark in the huge Bible up front, 2 pots of red geraniums at the front of the church, and red banners hung.

I found myself FIRED UP! I don't know if it was because of the red. I don't know if it was because of the lesson in Sunday school. I don't know if it was because of the music. I don't know if it was the energy from the youth. I just know I was fired up!

As I noticed the red and how fired up I was, I began to think. "What comes to mind when I see red in a church?" Blood. Blood that was shed 2000 years ago for me. Innocent blood that cleansed an ugly spirit and has made me white. Blood from flogging, thorns, nails, spears, sweat, prayers, and tears.

Sacrificial blood that saves.

Acts 20:28
Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.

Romans 5:9
Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him!

Hebrews 9:14
How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!

2 comments: