Friday, May 15, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect

Ever since I was a little kid, I've heard people say, "Practice makes perfect." This can apply to lots of areas in our lives. I can remember my dad saying it to me about basketball (although I never even got good at that, let alone perfect). Various directors said it to me about musicals. I have sometimes thought of it about my own cooking. :) I definitely tell myself that multiple times in regards to my new job. But I wonder tonight, have I ever thought about it in reference to my faith.

As Christians, we need to get our practice in too. Our game is a spiritual one with much higher stakes - in fact, the Bible often refers to it as a spiritual war. This game of life is indeed the ultimate game and the ultimate gig so we should practice even more fervently for it. In Hebrews it says, "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching." (Hebrews 10:25 NIV) For some christians this is attending church, personal or group bible study, sunday school, small groups, church choir practice, worship band practice, or a combination of these. Regardless of the name, we all need to make sure we are practicing because we are all in the game and "practice makes perfect".

I am encouraging you tonight to practice, I pray that you will find time this weekend to talk with our Heavenly Coach! I know that I intend on a practice, so I am always ready to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment