Saturday, September 26, 2009

when satan attacks

What a week! It was a full week: school with a student teacher, 5th grade basketball, 7th grade girls Bible study, meetings, women's Bible study, more meetings, curriculum planning (this was all by Thursday morning). I missed highschool small groups too! I should know by know that weeks like this are when satan tends to attack me. I was physically and emotionally exhausted.

Thursday was a rough day. Everything caught up to me from the first 3 days of the week. All I wanted was someone to come home to and talk to, so the whole "I hate being single" thing overwhelmed me. That night, I cried. I'm not talking the weepy tears. I mean facedown on the floor, tears pouring from my eyes, snot running out of my nose, couldn't breathe, crying to Jesus. I had text a friend just to ask for prayer and she said, "jesus will meet you in it. just rest there for a sec." Well, it took me an hour and a half to get to a point where I could rest in Jesus.

Then, I opened my Bible study (Stepping Up by Beth Moore). I realized I had let satan get a grip on me emotionally and spiritually. The Psalm I was about to study said this, "And the Lord surrounds his people, both now and forever" (Psalm 125:2). The study of this Psalm kept driving this verse home with me. God surrounds me. When satan attacks, God is surrounding me. God absorbs the brunt of it and what hits me will help me to grow. Beth said, "nothing can close in on [me] without closing in on Him first."

I would not have caught that statement if I hadn't spent the previous almost 2 hours on my face crying to Jesus. When satan attacks, we must call on Jesus for 2 important reasons. First, Psalm 121 tells us that "our help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth." If I am not going to Jesus for help then I am not going for the right help. Jesus is the only thing that can overpower satan....satan cowers under the name of Jesus. Second, we need to recognize that Jesus is surrounding us. That he will provide a way out when we call on Him.

I'm not perfect at this by any means. However, God opened my eyes a little more to who he is and what he WILL do for me. I ask you this, when satan attacks you where does your help come from? Do you try to fix it on your own? Do you take the problem to a friend? Or, do you let the maker of heaven and earth, the Lord who surrounds you, rescue you from the grip of satan?

No comments:

Post a Comment