Monday, September 14, 2009

Where Does My Help Come From?

My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. (Psalm 121). I have been thinking a lot about this Scripture this week. God is my perfect source of help: He is always there, he never gets tired of me talking to Him, He is never too busy for me, He forgives my sins, and loves me perfectly. Each and every one of us needs divine help!

What about help here on earth from our fellow men and women? Who do we depend on for encouragement and support in our earthly journey? When I first moved to this area about eight years ago, I was really dreading forming an entire new circle of friends. I especially missed our Sunday School class, which we had been a part of since we were newlyweds. Our Commitments Class was awesome! We learned together on Sundays, we had dinners together, we babysat each other's kids, we socialized, we picnicked, we lifted each other up in prayer, and encouraged each other to live our lives in a Christ-like manner. How was I ever going to find something like that again? I was a bit distressed, to be truthful. In the end, it took WAY longer than I wanted it to, and it didn't look exactly like it did before; but over time, I developed close friendships with Godly women. Jumping into a new church and getting involved in Bible Studies and other ministries really helped to facilitate those new relationships that I am now so thankful for. I know God placed certain women in my life because he knew I needed that encouragement!!!

Today, I am praising God for the people he has put in my life for a reason. I strive to keep my eyes open for opportunities to be that encourager for someone else, like I needed eight years ago! How are you building a support system? How can you be a helper to someone in need?


"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work; If one falls down, his friend can help him up." Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment