Sunday, September 27, 2009

Believing God

I love when my kids speak God's truths, even if they don't know it. Tonight when I did devotion time with Caroline, we talked about Abram and his journey to Canaan. We talked about how we obey God and try to be faithful, even if it is scary or new to us or doesn't make sense. As I tucked her under the covers, she said, "Mommy, I can't feel Jesus' feet next to mine under the covers. I can't even see him. But I believe that he is there." Wow. My little girl, without even knowing it, spoke words that my heart needed to hear at that moment. I love it when God chooses our children as vessels to speak through.

Do you all ever feel like God is at a distance? Today I felt that way. I don't know why. I have a great Bible study I am doing, I heard a good message at church, and I am spending time in prayer. Why do we go through times where we don't feel God's presence as much as we do other times? For one, I think He wants me to seek and find Him in different ways, whether it is the beautiful sunrise I saw the other morning, or through the smile of a friend, or the words of a child. Simple things. Subtle things. A whisper instead of a shout. I believe He is with me, surrounding me with his love, even if it is a brush of a breeze instead of a hurricane.


I also believe that He wants me to be faithful and patient (patience is not one of my strengths). Even if I am not seeing the harvest of my sowing doesn't mean that God is not working in my world. Even if I am not seeing prayers answered doesn't mean that God has not heard them. Hebrews 6:12 tells us to "imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised". And God promises us so much if we believe Him. He promises that he loves us, that He will always be with us, and we will be united with Him someday in heaven for a life eternal.

I have to end with something I learned from Beth Moore's Bible Study "Believing God". Even though I did this several years ago, I still say these truths to remind me of God's promises.

1. God is who He says He is.
2. God can do what He says He can do.
3. I am who God says I am.
4. I can do all things through Christ
5. God's word is alive and active in me.

I'm Believing God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment