Monday, August 17, 2009

Let Jesus Be Enough

This past weekend my entire family came up to celebrate August birthdays. We had a great time hanging out, watching the kids play, and eating lots of food. At one point, Jason took a boat load out for some tubing on the lake, so my sister (L), my mom, my grandma and I all had a chance to sit out on the back porch and chit chat. We were laughing because earlier that week my other sister (J)and I got into a political debate with my dad over the proposed health care plan (our debate was all done over email, mind you!) My sister and I have similar thoughts on this issue, and my dad, not so much. We all agreed on some points, but the role that the government plays was debated fervently! Fortunately, we are a family that can agree to disagree and still love each other in the end.

Anyway, my other sister (L) brought up a very thought-provoking point. She said (paraphrasing) "Why do we look to politicians and government and people to solve all of our problems? No one thing in this world can be the solution. Only Jesus can be our everything."

Wow. She is so right. How many times have I thought, "Oh, if such and such would do this, it would make everything ok. If only the President would do this, then our country would get back on track. If this person would stop doing that, then my life would be so much better."

Yes, maybe those things would help, but without God in the center, it is meaningless. The Founding Fathers, (while not perfect by any means), did do at least one thing right. They intended for God to be the center of our existence here in America. The center of our government, our schools, our work, everything!! I am so thankful for the freedom we have to worship the God who created us. But I am afraid that God is not the center of our being here in America any longer. I think we are the center of our being. It is all about "me" and what makes "me" happy, comfortable, popular, wealthy, etc.

How do you let Jesus be "IT" for you? How do you let Him be the guiding force in your life decisions? How do you balance politics and what God says to be true? I would love to hear your thoughts.

"Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father."

Phillipians 2:9-11

1 comment:

  1. chills.....Great post! This thought actually has crossed my mind a lot because of the Bible study we did this summer. I have really tried to focus more on letting Jesus take care of me, rather than relying on other things. It is amazing to me how things just work out when we let HIM direct us.

    ReplyDelete