Monday, August 31, 2009

Balancing on a Tightrope

I have never been a big fan of the circus. I guess it is the whole clown thing and the weird contortionists and people who take enormous, crazy risks--like walking in amongst lions! Yikes! It is just not me. But today, I can actually relate to the tightrope walker---balancing ever so carefully, carrying the weight of the world (or a few humans) on your shoulders, trying not to lean one way or the other, because if you get too much on one side, SPLAT!! You're a goner! Can you relate?

This week we started a new book in Sunday school on living a balanced life. Are you laughing yet??? Can you actually imagine what a balanced life might look like?? When our pastor asked my husband what in his life is balanced, my husband retorted, "My tires." Yes, that is his sense of humor. Anyway, I think all people,no matter what age or stage, sometimes (or maybe a lot of the times) feel like they are tightrope walkers, ready to tip over at any minute. What exactly is balance when it comes to living a Christ-centered life?


For a long time, my life was out of balance. When I got "reacquainted" with God, it became glaringly clear how it was out of balance. For me, it meant giving up some things to make room for other things that needed priority. Here is one example: For a long time, I tried to fit quiet Bible study/prayer time into my schedule: in the morning, (nope, didn't work-kids get up too early), a few minutes in the afternoon (not happening either with a preschooler who doesn't nap), or after the kids go to bed (this works, but what about my shows?) Okay, something has to give. Guess what it was? The shows. I basically had to give up most of my t.v. time except for a few shows that I love. Man, that was a tough time. Being obedient is NOT easy. But now that I have formed a habit of it, it comes a lot easier. My pastor made a great point during Sunday school. He said so often we try to fit time with God into our schedule, when in reality, we should build our schedule around our time with God. Makes total sense, but is so hard to accomplish in our crazy lives.


But what if God calls us to live an unbalanced life? Hmmmmm. What if he calls us away from our families to serve in the mission field? What if he calls us to pour our time and passion into a ministry that means we have little time for friends? What if He calls us to move to a different part of the country so our spouse can pursue his work? What if? Is living a life full of Christ balanced at all? Should it be so full of Him that there is little left for me? Totally unbalanced.


These are questions I have......... What do you think?


No matter what, though, I believe that God is holding my hand as I walk this tightrope. If I pursue Him and seek Him, He will guide me to a balanced life, or maybe an unbalanced life. Trusting and obeying, hoping, balancing..........He will be there if I fall off, to catch me and hoist me back up on the right path. If I will only reach out and grasp His hand, and not let go.....

If the Lord delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand. Psalm 37:23,24

No comments:

Post a Comment