Monday, January 25, 2010

An Inspirational Read

I am an avid reader, and when I come across a book that touches my heart, I like to share it with the world! ( I know that everyone does not cherish a good book as much as I do, but I still like to share with everyone like they do.)

I have been wanting to read Same Kind of Different As Me for awhile now, and I joyfully received it as a gift for Christmas. I did not read it right away; I set it aside waiting for the exact time when I really needed a great book to escape to. Well, a few weeks ago, I just couldn't wait for that time any longer. I had other books to read, but I couldn't resist. And I am so glad that I read it, because now, I want to read it again!

This book was so good that I couldn't put it down. My children and husband saw my rear parked in my chaise lounge chair in the living room all afternoon on that Sunday. Caroline looked at me funny when she asked me a question, and when I looked at her, I was trying to wipe the tears from my eyes. "No, honey, you didn't make mommy cry. I am just reading a really good book." The look on her face said, "A good book makes you cry?" Nevermind. You will understand in a few years.

Without giving away much of the story, this is a true account of an unlikely friendship. It tells of hardship,unconditional love, forgiveness and faith. Parts of the story I could not, or did not want to believe were true, the suffering unimaginable. It left me convicted to feel more compassion for those around me, especially those who might seem "undesirable". I urge you to read this book. It will change your opinion on who God can use in this world to convey His wisdom.

Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore

Father God, I thank you for this book, for helping its authors weave this story of all different emotions. Ultimately, you are glorified through the telling of these men's journeys. I praise you for the lessons learned. Help me to not forget how it touched me, and keep my eyes open to seeing you in all people. It's in your Son's name we pray, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for mentioning Same Kind of Different as Me on your blog! I work with Thomas Nelson, and we would love to follow your blog and hear what readers think of this moving book. I also want to let you know that Ron and Denver have just released a new book What Difference Do It Make? which updates readers on their activity since the first book came out. Please contact me with your mailing address if you are interested in receiving a complimentary copy of the new book for review on your site at your convenience.

    Thanks!

    Jodi Hughes
    pubintern@thomasnelson.com

    ReplyDelete