Monday, January 18, 2010

Rollercoaster

The ups and downs of life are interesting, to say the least. I was flying pretty high last week until the earthquake hit. That brought me down fast. I am sure I felt the same way as a lot of you felt. Shock, anger, sadness, despair, helplessness. I wanted to hop on the first plane to Haiti and help, full knowing that I couldn't. I had to get on the the "normal" activities of my life, but felt somewhat guilty about going on my usual routine like nothing was happening. Donating to UMCOR made me feel a little better, praying settled my spirit. Then Saturday came with all of the excitement of the Upward ministry. That sent my spirit soaring again! It was an awesome day of watching kids, parents, coaches, and volunteers serve in the body of Christ. Then I woke up Sunday morning.

I think sheer exhaustion had a lot to do with it, but we (our family) had one of the most irritable days in our history. The kids were grouchy, fighting, not listening, whiny. I was grouchy, snippy, impatient, angry. I did not like them, and I am sure they did not like me. Jason had pulled an all-niter at work on Thursday, so he was not in great shape either. UGH. It was not pretty. I was so ready to crawl under the sheets at the end of the day and call it DONE! "Stick a fork in it" finished.

Monday dawned a new day---- and of course, the kids were home from school all day for MLK day. I prayed for strength, for patience, for new children. (well, figuratively). The day went pretty well until dinner time, and then it fell apart. I took a deep breath, wished my husband well at his meeting (great timing!) and decided there was only one thing that could fix this funk we were in..........
We needed to get down on the dance floor and praise God! With a little help from Toby Mac, that is exactly what we did.
Seriously, who couldn't love those faces?
A little break -dancing never hurts either. The dog was even in on it.

Jumping, spinning, dancing, singing out to the Lord. Praising Him for just being Him.


In the most dire situation, as in Haiti, or just in my little world of raising children, God lifts us up. He strengthens us and fortifies us. He upholds us with His righteous right hand. Praise be to God, for His love endures forever!

Praise the Lord, sing to the Lord a new song, his praise in the assembly of saints. Let Israel rejoice in their Maker, let the people of Zion be glad in their King. Let them praise his name with dancing, and make music to him.... Psalm 149


No comments:

Post a Comment