Saturday, June 13, 2009

Books

I love to read! That is one of my favorite things about summer...I have time to read something besides teacher manuals. And, I can get my reading done in less than 2 weeks (on average, that is how long it takes me to read a book during school). I am a super fast reader.

This school year I made a list of books that I wanted to read this summer. The list has about 20 books on it: some children's literature, some professional literature, some books that I have read before, some books that I have purchased and haven't had time to read yet. I started today - FINALLY - with the last 3 books in The Chronicles of Narnia.

Sometimes I will ask for suggestions and sometimes I just grab something off a shelf that looks interesting. I thought I would take this post and make some suggestions to you all. I will give you title, author (if I remember), and a little summary. Let me know if you read any of them...I always like to hear about your thoughts on books.


The Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer - a friend of mine calls this "teeny-bopper vampire romance" but it is amazing. It is the story of Edward, Bella, and Jacob. A story of love, life, growing up, making tough choices. I HIGHLY recommend them.


Crazy Love by Francis Chan - this book is about God's crazy love for us and what HIS loves calls us to do as followers of Jesus.


Irresistable Revolution by Shane Claiborne - this book is about simply loving people the way God has called us to love people. How we need to simply live and love our neighbor as ourself. How we shouldn't live in excess, but help those in need with the "extra" that we are blessed with.



The Thing about Georgie - this is a short chapter book about Georgie, who is a dwarf. It is realistic fiction. It shows how everyone has the same experiences just from different perspectives. I read this to my 5th graders this year....they loved it!


Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper - this book will rock your world! It took me to places of my heart and soul that I usually try to avoid. It challenges you to be intentional with your faith.


The Shack by William Young - I just read this over Spring Break. It is a fiction book about how a man's relationship with the trinity and how the "three persons" each have their individual role in our lives and how those roles also work together. One of my all-time favorites.


Captivating by John and Staci Eldridge - this book has challenged me more in the past year than any other book! It gives a fantastic picture and description of God's purpose for us as women, how HE loves us, and why HE specifically designed us the way we are. If you are desiring to know your purpose, I HIGHLY recommend this book.


Romans, James, and Hebrews the Bible - these are the 3 books that I find myself searching and studying the most. Romans is a challenge to be different, James is brutal truth about what our walk with Christ should look like, and Hebrews is encouraging accounts of our forefathers.


I just picked up The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning today. It was suggested to me by my best friend. I will let you know my thoughts. Keep me posted on what you are reading.

1 comment:

  1. Dina- Your list of books is so cool. I want to read alot of them. I did just start reading Captivating and I have The Ragamuffin Gospel but I've not read it yet. You got me excited to read more this summer. I might have to borrow some of them!! I usually read a couple to get some ideas for our devotions on the Ladies Mission Trip in September. I had a book called The Bigger the Hair, The Closer to God which I was maybe going to use because we do the beauty shop!! Great Post!!

    ReplyDelete