Friday, June 12, 2009

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

So I am going a little more personal on this one, mainly because I need prayer and some Christian Sistas to stand up with!

Fair warning: to some of you, most of this may be incredibly old news.

I graduated from Purdue with my degree in Elementary Education and I am currently a licensed teacher in the State of Indiana. After I graduated I was offered a children's ministry position that I held for a little more than 2 years. I loved that job! I got to use my education degree but in a very unique way: teaching kids about Christ! In December, I was let go from that job and found myself searching for a new one. It wasn't a very good time in the nation's economy to be unemployed, so I worked my tail off to find a job right away. Unfortunately, teaching didn't seem like an option since it was in the middle of the school year and I couldn't support myself on a substitute's income. I decided that it still wasn't the right time for me to teach and I applied at lots of places, finally ending up at United Way.

I started mid-January and have really enjoyed it. When I was hired I was asked if teaching was a possibility for me or if I was ready to commit to a few years with them. At the time, I was ready to know that I had steady income and this was a job I thought I could really like...so I said I didn't think it was right for meto teach (and for the record I believed that!) It's a challenge somedays, but most days I get to network with people, which I love and everyday I leave knowing that I am positively impacting our community.

SO, yesterday I get an email that says there is a 4th grade teaching position open at a nearby school....what to do. My first reaction was "not interested". Then I kept thinking about it...now I am just not sure....

My dad's advice, "Do what's best for you!" As soon as he said that, these words jumped out of my mouth, "What if I don't know what that is?" He laughed, I didn't think it was that funny, that was a real question.

It's a rollercoaster at this point between three thoughts:
A. Stay where you are, you are happy
B. You gave your word, it's not fair to leave
C. Teaching, it's what you used to dream about

So I guess I have probably gone on long enough about this minor dilemna. I know there is only one person who has the answer. I am asking you all to please pray for me as I make this decision. I want to do what God is calling me to do, unfortunately at this point I am not convinced that I have heard Him very clearly. I know that this is not because He isn't talking, but rather I haven't been able to stop my thoughts long enough to shut up and listen. So will you pray that in the next few days, hours even that I could just shut up and listen.

Romans 8:1
26...the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. 27And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.
28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.
31What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."37No, in all these things we are
more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

In the entire scheme of my life I realize that this decision will more than likely not make or break things. However, when I was paid to work in ministry I never questioned my calling...now, honestly, I kind of am. I know Judy talked about doing everything in the name of Christ. And I know that teaching or working for United Way I can glorify God but I want to get it right. Will you pray for me? I know I am not the only person at a crossroad, some of you I am sure are at a much more serious one. Please know that I am praying for you too! This part of Romans chapter 1 is something I read to myself over and over sometimes, especially now.

He made me, He knows me, He loved me, and He has a plan.
He did/does/has the same for you!
Praise God!

Lord,
Thank you that you have a plan. Move me to the side and guide my steps according to your will for my life. Thank you for the women that are a part of this blog, writers or readers. Bless them today. Remind them that they are called by name to live their life to Glorify You! I praise you for the blessings of work you have given to me. I ask that you would be present in the decisions I have to make now. And know God that the struggles I have at this time are just because I desire so deeply to please you. May your name be blessed in all I do! Ahmen

3 comments:

  1. http://dinacoverstone.blogspot.com/2007/01/god-wants-me-where.html


    this is a blog entry on my personal blog. it is from about 2.5 years ago, but i was going through a similar time. we have talked plenty and you know how i personally feel about teaching. my favorite thing though is the challenge to BE Jesus every day, since I can't "teach" Jesus. obviously you got that degree for a reason. there is NOTHING wrong with putting yourself out there.

    YES, YES, YES I will be praying for you. I know God will guide you and bless you wherever you go. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Monica,I have and will continue to pray for you and this big decision. Love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so blessed to have a great job and now this opportunity to boot. Especially when so many people have no options in terms of employment. I will pray that the path you're meant to travel is brightly lit and the one you are to leave behind is blocked by Do Not Enter signs :) Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete