Monday, June 22, 2009

Let Jesus on the Boat!

Okay, my post today is not an original idea, but I loved the sermon my pastor gave yesterday. I have to share the gist of it with you. It is based on Mark 4:35-40, where Jesus calms the storm for the disciples. To paraphrase, Jesus and the disciples are on a boat, crossing the Sea of Galilee. During the night, a storm breaks out and the disciples wake a sleeping Jesus up, frantic for him to save them from drowning. Jesus gets up from his cozy cushion and tells the wind and waves to be quiet.... and they do, of course. He then asks his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" In other words, what is wrong with y'all? You have me, Jesus, here with you in the boat, and you are still afraid for your life?

Basically, my pastor's point is that we all have storms in our lives. Sometimes big, massive hurricanes that could overtake us, and sometimes little squalls that just get us off course briefly. God never promises that our lives will be storm-free. But He does promise to help calm the storm inside of us with his perfect peace, if we invite Him in the boat with us. God uses those storms in our lives to point out how helpless we are, and how mighty He is. Sometimes we have to sail through some pretty stormy seas to realize how much we need Him. He is mighty to save us from desperation, from drowning in our doubt, sorrow, anger... whatever it may be.

Our praise band sang a wonderful song that fit this story perfectly....the chorus goes like this:

You are my refuge, my shelter from the storm. You are the answer, Lord you are my home.

We all need Jesus in the boat with us. There is not one single person who can make it through life's storms intact, on their own. But He can get us through it. He can be our strength when we are weak.

Dear God, you are my refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. I will not fear though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the sea. I will be still and know that you are God. You will be exalted among nations. Amen

(based on Psalm 46)

3 comments:

  1. I would agree that this was a great sermon. Thanks for sharing how it spoke to you. If you want a great book about this read "If You Want to Walk on Water You Have to Get Out of the Boat" I think it is by John Ortberg....so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a great sermon! I don't know why we always get it into our heads that we should be living life "storm free" but praise the Lord HE is there with us in the boat. (a great song too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post. What a great story for a lake loving community! We so need Jesus in our boat!! I have read the book Dina talked about by John Ortberg and altho it is about a different bible story, it is still telling us how much we need Jesus and how he will be there for us, in the calm and the storms!! Amen and amen!

    ReplyDelete