Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My strength

"We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead." 2 Cor. 1:8-9

Who do you rely on? I can give you a list. I rely on my husband, my friends, my family... so many people. But I'm studying this week on relying on God. The Israelites had to rely on God when they were in captivity. They had nothing else. Now I am thankful for the list I gave you. So thankful. I am blessed beyond measure in my life. But I also have gone through times when people couldn't help me.

That's exactly what this verse is talking about. I know that God only gives us what we can handle. He makes sure of that. But there are times that I think he must be saying... "ok, Shannon, you are going to need me for this one, and maybe it's time for a reminder that you DO need me".

I've had some times in the past year when all I could do was turn to Him. When my pain was so deep that I knew He was the only one to get me through it. I have a friend who has some family struggles right now, and as I listen to her share, all I can do is turn it over to Him. It's just too tough to wrap my brain around. When I was studying this verse this week it really stood out to me. I take such comfort to know that in my most painful moments God is there, walking me through.

I'm not sure exactly where I'm going with this... just wanted to share with you friends- God wants us-needs us to turn to Him. So often when things are good we tend to take care of things (or think we can!) ourselves. But when things get so bad, when you are hurting, when you don't know where else to go- then that may be the time that God can step in.

We want you to know that we have been SO blessed by this blog. It's been an answer to prayer for us and we are so thankful for you. Please know that we love you and are praying for you!

1 comment: