Wednesday, June 10, 2009

One Year


My baby is 1 year old today. ONE YEAR! I remember the excitement of waking up early, heading to the hospital, knowing that when we would arrive home again, we'd be "3". Gracie is such a part of our lives, I can not imagine life without her. Here are some random thoughts I'd like to share with you about her first year of life.

  • having a baby is hard! No sleep, hormones, trying to figure out what they want... 24/7 care, no sleep... It's hard work. Worth every minute, but still hard
  • I am more thankful for my husband now than I ever was. He is a fantastic, involved father.
  • I should have known I am not good at adjusting to life changes... having a baby was no different. I felt like I needed to be the perfect mom, little Betty Homemaker too. You know, have little junior spotless and the house clean, dinner in the oven and warm cookies ready when the mister gets home? yeah... that's just on t.v. people. Seriously.. I knew, have always known, in fact that I wanted to stay home with my kids and we are blessed right now, to have that chance. Yet, I struggled with just being home... Once a few other things started, I began to find my groove. I'm a better mom by having a weekly Bible study to go to, by leaving my daughter to take walks, by going to MOPS, and having regular time with friends. Now I am not too stressed about having the perfect house, and I am good about working from a list... taking care of a little something each day. And yes, sometimes there is even dinner in the oven!
  • Having a baby changes your body. AND it's hard to get back to the way it was (does it ever???) Enough said.
  • When she smiled the first time, I thought I was going to burst. Literally burst. Like... all that hard work, no sleep, craziness I went through was suddenly worth it cause she smiled at me. Another blog I read talks about those little moments when your heart is so full it cracks just a little... her first smile, her first belly laugh, her playfulness, and now... kisses for mom.... crack.
  • If I love my daughter like this... and I seriously cannot get enough of her... imagine how much MY GOD loves me (AND YOU!)? He feels the same... He wants to burst with pride, love, and joy. What an awesome thought.
Happy Birthday Big Girl. -"The Lord your God is with you. He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you. He will quiet you with his love. He will rejoice over you with singing" Zep. 3.17

2 comments:

  1. Oh Happy Birthday little one! You have been so fun to watch grow...I can't wait to see you walk on your own, can't wait to hear what your voice will sound like (especially the first time you say "MoMo"), can't wait to see what you wear to your first day of school. May God Bless you and your wonderful parents on this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweetie! Enjoy every moment - time goes by so quickly! Motherhood is wonderful and believe it or not, it gets better! My "babies" are 37 and 39 and I still get excited about their accomplishments. And if you enjoy being a mother, wait till you're a grandma!

    ReplyDelete